Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Really Long Blog


A few weekends ago, Andrew and Amanda came down for a visit. We had high hopes for a beautiful weekend, as the week prior had been absolutely gorgeous, only to be stuck indoors with lots and lots of rain. We still had a great time just hanging out with the kids, making t-shirts, and watching a movie. Though Josiah loves both Andy and Amanda, he was a huge fan of Andy and had to know where he was at all times!



Last weekend we went to Raleigh to visit our parents and to let my dad, Papa, meet Bella for the first time. (I think I mentioned previously that he had major back surgery just before Bella was born and will not be able to travel for a while.) While we were there, Josiah discovered that he can climb out of the pack and play - for those of you who have gone through this stage of parenting, we welcome any advice! Let's just say we did not sleep much last weekend. Thankfully he cannot yet climb out of his crib, but my sweet son who used to be so great at going to bed has now decided that bedtime/nap time is pure torture! Oh, the joys!


Playing in the yard with Aunt Amanda.

Helping Mommy water the flowers, (well, almost flowers!)

For Easter, Gammie and Pops got Josiah some sandals! He loves them, and we are hoping they will last the summer!

Bella's first real bath - she seemed to enjoy it.

Josiah loves bubble baths but has discovered that they don't taste all that great!
We took Josiah to get his first "professional" haircut (minus the one my Aunt Barb gave him last summer), and as you can see, it did not go so well. I have been cutting his hair, but he is at that stage where he will not let me get near him with a pair of scissors.
This haircut started off okay. He was fine with me holding him and Daddy distracting him with some toys. However, towards the end, we literally had 4 people holding him down to try to trim around his ears! I have never heard him scream like that; it was heart breaking! I just had to keep telling myself that it would only last a minute and then I could console him. It will be a while before we try this again!


I wanted to post this picture to remind myself that Josiah and I are still close friends. Let's just say that this has been a tough past few weeks for little man and myself. He is getting used to having to share his mommy with a baby that doesn't do much more than sleep, eat, cry, and get her diaper changed. Every time Bella starts crying, he starts "crying" and wants me to hold him; I've tried reasoning with him, holding him and letting Bella cry for a few minutes, but he still panics every time. Needless to say, this is wearing on me! Once again, I appreciate any advice in this area as well!
I feel like I might start feeling like myself sometime soon. I have been battling infection after infection and the antibiotics have made Bella extremely fussy, especially at night. I find myself longing to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time and without holding a baby. But then I realize that one day far too soon, I will long for the days when my daughter's favorite sleeping spot was her head on my chest. So, despite the lack of sleep, a few health setbacks, and adjusting to being parents of two, we are doing well. We are so blessed in so many ways, and we are thankful that God has given us the privilege of raising these two sweet people to know and love Him!


For some reason, it's hard for me to take an attractive picture of my beautiful daughter at this stage in her life. I think the lights on the camera make her do weird poses. So, this picture does not do her justice, but it's the best I have at this point!


6 comments:

thomashardwicke said...

My niece is Dr. Evil.

I love her.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all is normal at your house. I promise things will change some better some same. You will do good, both are good parents. God gave me two but 8 1/2 years apart. He knew I could only handle one at a time. Cute kids.
love to all, nana jane
ps keep pictures coming!!!

Q&K said...

We just took Colton to get a haircut today. He say on Quinton's lap and they gave him a lollipop. That seemed to do the trick. Perhaps an idea for next time?

Sorry to hear he's having a hard time adjusting. I'm sure before too long it will all be normal to him and he won't remember a time when his sis wasn't in his life.

Love you, friend. -kristin

the broomes said...

Let's talk sometime this week, Conyo! Your kids are both beautiful! ...I have days when I feel like I (and the kids) are still adjusting. Joshua definitely has days when he needs more mom or dad time. I suppose it is normal:) I love you!

Shannon Bradley said...

I loved your new pictures...

I think I felt so much like you do now when I had David (from what I read)...I somewhat grieved some sort of lost relationship with Luke??? It hurt me when I couldn't tend to him like I had previously, but it WILL change!! Luke adjusted just like we did. I was experiencing some postpartum very early too, so adding that to the mix was pretty traumatic!! :) I remember Ross having to PROMISE me that sleepless nights and emotional days wouldn't last forever. I was convinced my life was over :) :) Be encouraged!! You are not the only one, you will still look back and think it was a precious time (even if you aren't enjoying it to the fullest now), and Josiah will adjust along with you...
sorry for such a long comment but I remember feeling this way like it was yesterday!! :)

The Reardon's said...

Con, I am cracking up at this post and I feel your pain! I really lost it at Josiah's 1st haircut pic when I saw the lady in the background!! Hehe!! I pray you get better very soon. And Bella is a doll... I felt the same way about Eden's pics. SHe was a chubby mess and made the weirdest faces!